Skip to main content

Secrets to success?

 Bill Gates tweets advice for new college graduates.
What would Bill Gates do if he were starting out today? The world's richest person offered new college graduates some advice Monday on Twitter.



Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft who stepped down as CEO in 2000, delivered a virtual commencement address in the span of 14 tweets.

"New college grads often ask me for career advice," he began. "Looking back on when I left college, there are some things I wish I had known."

For starters, Gates said he would get involved with artificial intelligence, energy and biosciences -- "promising fields where you can make a huge impact."

That includes tapping into renewable energy sources like solar and wind power and automating factories, construction sites and retail locations.

"It's what I would do if starting out today," said Gates, who has an estimated net worth of $87.6 billion, according to Forbes.

He expressed one regret. "When I left school," Gates said, "I knew little about the world's worst inequities. Took me decades to learn. You know more than I did when I was your age. You can start fighting inequity, whether down the street or around the world, sooner."

But Gates also expressed optimism that "the world is getting better."

"Sounds crazy, but it's true," he said. "This is the most peaceful time in human history. That matters because if you think the world is getting better, you want to spread the progress to more people and places. It doesn't mean you ignore the serious problems we face. It just means you believe they can be solved."

Gates concluded, "This is an amazing time to be alive. I hope you make the most of it."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robotic Learning

A human teacher would know the student's state of mind and special gifts or needs, and society would guide him. While teaching English, French, German or any of the fourteen major languages of India, all the teacher's good qualities go into the student, enriching and blessing him, along with the experience the teacher has gained through the years. When the magic happens, a certain amount "rubs off," and a life is transformed. This is real education. This is training through sampradaya--people to people, heart to heart, mind to mind, soul to soul. This is how it used to be and how it still can be. In a student-teacher relationship, the novice must deal directly with a human, talk to a human, be with a human, and love or hate this human, as the case may be, depending on the student's evolution or spiritual development, not to mention that teacher's own personal qualities. But school classes, from the lower grades to the highest are tending to dispense wit...

Changing Careers ?

Here 's  What You Need to know . Making a big change can be a dream come true, but it can also turn into a nightmare. Sometimes people need more than a change of scenery. It's not enough to simply get a new job. Instead, it's time to change careers entirely. This can happen for a lot of reasons. In some cases it's not a choice. If you work in retail or write for a print newspaper, the changing reality of your profession may make a change a necessity. The same might be true of some people who work in manufacturing, or those who have made a living driving a cab. In other situations, of course, people want to change careers because they want something new or they're looking for a profession that pays more money. No matter what the reason you have for wanting to change careers, there are a few things everyone should do before tying to make the leap. Before changing careers have a plan . Decide what you want to do. Sometimes people make job de...

A prison inmate

A prison inmate on death row soon to be put on the electric chair was asked his last wish before he died,He asked for a pen and paper and wrote: LIKE | SHARE | COMMENT Subscribe this Blog "Daksh Educational Services" for more Educating & Enlightening articles. "Dear Mum, If the law was fair,today you could be here with me waiting to be hanged together in the electric chair,but since the law is so blind, I have been convicted for the crimes we committed together,Remember Mum, remember how it started. Do you remember the day I stole my friends sweet, you didn't punish me, you only said I was young, Mum remember when I used to steal dad's money but you didn't report me, remember at 15 when I stole our neighbors bicycle i hid it in the garage you saw me and kept quite I was with you and later I sold it to scrap you did nothing. ,Mum the day I was suspended from school for smoking and dodging lessons dad wanted to punish me but you stopped him, r...